Sunday, September 20, 2009

Breaking the Proverbial Cherry

As a beloved Facebook friend reminded me recently of a quotation from "Throw Momma From the Train," "Remember, a writer writes always."  My mother and husband have also been reminding me of that necessity also, though without the witty usage of movie quotes to secure my attention.  I must agree--they are all correct--I should be writing, so I am starting this blog as a place to work out my writers' kinks and slay that awful demon, Writers' Block. 

I cannot write too much tonight for I have a date with my nine-year old son to watch our Netflix disc 3 of Scooby Doo, Seasons 1 and 2.  Whoot!  Scooby, Doobie, Doo!  Zoinks!  Still, since I went to all the trouble to set up this blog, I figured I must leave a post to break the proverbial cherry of this new writing space.  

The title of this blog comes from a marching band maneuver, suggested to me for a column I wrote for my college newspaper.  I was searching for a better way to say "marching to the beat of my own drum" and this is what my column was christened, thanks to that college friend.  My articles should still be able to found by accessing the archives of Indiana University of Pennsylvania's student newspaper, The Penn.  While this column was being published (and even now, actually), I achieved a bit of campus fame as people discussed my columns in the dining hall, the Co-Op store and even in graduate classes while I was still an undergraduate.  One of my favorite moments in life was the joy a sweet lady at my dry-cleaner's expressed when she found out I was a customer.  I have spent quite a bit of time chatting with her regarding "the story behind the story ... beyond 500 words" that I was able to write for the column, and she inspired me to someday write a book entitled "Beyond 500 Words."  In a way, this blog is the beginning of that project.

Marching 7/4 Archives in The Penn

In closing for this first post, I would like to share a link that I found to a LiveJournal blog, where the writer covered the topic of "Writers Writing About Writers," listing movies where writers and writing were featured.  I found this entry when searching for the above movie quote, and I loved the topic so much I wanted to pay homage to it here in my formerly virginal entry, so I can return and watch each of the films and assess my own impressions of the them and the writers featured.

Writers Writing About Writers

So now I bid you adieu, for my son is driving me nuts playing with his talking Buzz Lightyear toy and I yearn for the nostalgia of watching Scooby Doo episodes from 1970, the year of my birth, and sharing with my son some of my favorite moments in Scooby film history (like "Coin, Coin").

Goodnight!






3 comments:

  1. hi Lori! Glad you started a bloggy. I took a long break from mine b/c I got so absorbed in FB, but getting kicked off for 17 days kind of lit a fire under my butt to pick it up again. Feel free to follow mine as well.

    XOXO
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that you, Joanne? Why were you cut off from Facebook? Glad to hear from you! I will go look up your blog now. Thank you for being my first comment and my second follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's me. On 8/14 FB decided that I wrote on Walls too much and too fast, so they shut my account down till 8/31. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth and I look at FB quite differently now.

    ReplyDelete